Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Vernors - An Oldie but a Goodie!

I absolutely adore ginger ale, because it always reminds me of the comfort of being home sick as a child and being brought peanut butter and butter toast and glasses of ginger ale in bed by my loving mom. I drink it always when I'm nauseated for whatever reason (it works!) and often on the plane. Sometimes when I'm feeling saucy, I drink it with gin. Canada Dry is the brand my mom gave us, so it still holds a special place in my heart (and taste memory!). A couple of years ago, while with an ex and now friend from Michigan, I tried a ginger soda that really packed a punch: Vernors. (That's not a typo, there really is no apostrophe.)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Image from: www.wikipedia.com

I recently found Diet Vernors at my local grocery store and I couldn't resist buying it. I hate diet soda and refuse to drink it as a matter of policy, but they were out of regular Vernors and I just had to taste it again to see if it was how I remembered from when I drank it from a glass bottle in dingy yet not-without-its-charm Detroit: bitingly gingery, tongue-tingling and yummy!
And it was! The diet was very similar to the original and was actually really good. Refreshing, zingy. It also has hints of sweet vanilla along with the strong ginger flavor, which makes it taste really distinctive. It's like one of those fancy gourmet ginger beers, but without the attitude.

According to Wikipedia, Vernors was actually invented in Detroit in 1866. Its slogan is "Barrel Aged, Bold Taste!". Apparently, with vanilla ice cream in a float it is a "Boston cooler". That sounds fabulous to me, I can't wait to try it. It is also the first American-born soda (supposedly) and is popular in Florida because lots of retired Detroit folks live there. Cool!

So, ginger ale fans, if you see Vernors at a store near you, don't hesitate to give it a try. It'll cure whatever ails you! I warn you that it is very sweet, but if you're in the mood for a strong and BOLD, sweet ginger soda, it'll really hit the spot.

:-P

2 comments:

Vernors Lover said...

I mix my Vernors with Vanilla Vodka and have found that to be one extraordinary drink!

I so love this stuff that I've started a blog. You can read my store at www.savevernors.com.

Patch said...

That sounds delicious, I will definitely have to try it. Thanks for the tip!